Investing in the Future of Global Health
The Initiative in Global Health is one of the core interdisciplinary focus areas of the Duke Forward campaign. We seek philanthropic support to strengthen the Duke Global Health Institute and to expand it potential and impact. We have identified three overarching goals that will inform the Institute’s strategic directions in the next five years:
- Become the worldwide leader in global health education
- Catalyze innovative research that reflect the changing global burden of disease and informs policy
- Create a robust international network of global health partners
To support the Duke Global Health Institute today, you can:
- Make a gift to the Innovation Fund, which funds our operations at Duke and abroad
- Invest in the Paul Farmer Global Health Fund endowment which provides support to undergraduate students pursuing global health research and service projects
- Partner with the Gates Foundation Global Health Matching Grant to support education program, graduate fellowships, faculty, and international partnerships
Gifts to support global health at Duke can include investments in faculty support, hands-on education/ experiential learning, as well as scholarship and fellowships. Additionally, these gifts can be designated to support global health activity within Schools, or designated to support the Institute which convenes and sustains University-wide global health activities.
GIFT OF $100,000 OR MORE
can support programs that give undergraduate, graduate, or professional students in any school the opportunity to conduct fieldwork through DGHI.
GIFT OF $250,000 OR MORE
can establish an endowed scholarship or fellowship for a talented undergraduate, graduate, or professional student who focuses on global health.
A GIFT OF EXPENDABLE OR ENDOWMENT FUNDING
can support short-term faculty residencies for global health experts, while endowment gifts can support endowed professorship that allow us to attract and retain faculty committed to interdisciplinary research and teaching in global health.
Donations to the Duke Global Health Institute support Duke's efforts to educate our future leaders, promote multi disciplinary research, and provide opportunities to address the multiple burdens of communicable and chronic diseases in vulnerable populations.
Paul Farmer Global Health Fund
Donations to the Paul Farmer Global Health Endowment Fund will support undergraduates pursuing global health research and service projects in the field. The endowment was created through a generous gift by Dave Gendell, T '83 in honor of his classmate, Paul Farmer.
Gates Foundation Matching Grant
As part of the $20 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announced in July 2015, $10 million will support the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Global Health Matching Grant for the Duke Global Health Institute. This generous challenge will match one dollar for every dollar given for all qualifying gifts.