Gary Gereffi's research interests deal with the competitive strategies of global firms, the governance of global value chains, economic and social upgrading, and the emerging global knowledge economy. His major ongoing research projects are:
- industrial upgrading, global production networks, and decent work in Asia, the Americas, Eastern Europe, and sub-Saharan Africa;
- an ongoing collaboration with the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) and other co-sponsors on clean (low-carbon) technologies and U.S. jobs
- engineering outsourcing and workforce development in the United States, China, and India;
- a global value chain perspective on food safety and quality standards; and
- analyzing the competitiveness of North Carolina industries in the global economy, utilizing a value chain perspective .