9th Annual Student Fieldwork Photo Contest
Do you have outstanding photos that tell a compelling story about a global health experience, challenge or solution? The fieldwork photo contest includes a judged competition and a social media-based People’s Choice competition. Winning photos may be used to promote education, research and service to advance global health at DGHI. Cash prizes will be given for the winning entries.
Sunday, September 23, 2018 BY MIDNIGHT
- Open to all Duke students and trainees who did Duke-affiliated global health fieldwork in 2018.
- Photos must be taken during the student's 2018 field experience.
- Each student may submit up to five high-resolution photos.
- Photos must be taken by the student or trainee submitting the photos.
- Photos may be color or black and white.
- DGHI will not accept: (1) digitally enhanced or altered photos, with the exception of brightness, contrast, conversion to black and white, or cropping or (2) images entered in previous DGHI photo contests.
- By entering the contest, you certify that you received written or verbal consent from the subjects of all photos. You also grant DGHI permission to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of this material, in whole or in part, in any media for any DGHI or Duke educational purpose.
- See “Submission Instructions” and “Judging and Selection” sections below for more details.
- Submission deadline is Sunday, September 23, by midnight. Late entries will not be considered.
Previous First Place Winners
- Save your photos using the following convention: “lastname_firstname_photo_1”
- Submit your photos via this form by Sunday, September 23. Please send the highest resolution versions of the photos as possible.
Judging and Selection
Entries will be judged by a committee of faculty, staff and students. Documentary, candid-style photos will be given preference over posed shots. Photos that include Duke students are encouraged (but not required). Judging criteria include:
- Relevance to education, research, and/or service in global health (NOTE: This criteria will be weighted more heavily than the others. Thoughtful captions connecting the photo to a global health issue can help boost the relevance rating.)
- Technical quality (focus, lighting, use of color, composition)
- General aesthetic quality
Prizes and Recognition
- Winning entries will be announced and displayed at the 2018 Global Health Showcase on November 5 and may be used in DGHI publications, on the DGHI website and in other DGHI communication outlets.
- Winning photographers will receive a cash prize (first place $150, second place $125, third place $100, People’s Choice $50).