Several offices at Duke and within DGHI provide services to help investigators design and perform research. Below are some of the the most commonly used resources for identifying funding opportunities, understanding research policies and procedures, designing and carrying out clinical studies, and developing research skills.
As an institute committed to equitable partnership, DGHI encourages researchers to follow ethical guidelines for data collection and management. Jump to information about DGHI’s Research Data Governance and Equity.
SOPs and Policies
Global Health Resources at Duke Libraries
Subject specialist librarians are available to help you and your students do effective research for papers and presentations. Call on them as you plan your research or assignments, or to schedule a hands-on library session for your students. Additional resources available at Duke Libraries include the following:
Global health subject guides, collections, research support, workshops and consultations
Duke Medical Center Library
Global health subject guides, bibliographic instruction, collection development
Data and GIS Services
Data and GIS resources, visualization, workshops and consultations
Research Data Governance and Equity
Equitable health needs equitable data
DGHI engages researchers and communities around the world in collaborative projects pursuing global health equity. Discovery and innovation are driven by the data we collect together. Data governance approaches characterized by mutual respect and trust protect stakeholders’ data rights and promote equitable benefits. Below, learn more about data governance at DGHI and find resources to inspire your team’s approaches.
Research Data Governance for Global Health
Case Studies in Data Governance
How Manoj Mohanan managed data sovereignty and de-identification issues in his research
Data Accessibility Mechanisms
A handout describing mechanisms for promoting stakeholder engagement with research data
Exploring data equity
The following are resources outside of Duke to help researchers and students explore equity issues related to handling of research data and frameworks for responsible data approaches and stewardship.
- IFRC Data Playbook
- ODI Data Ethics Canvas
- Hand-Book Of The Modern Development Specialist
- Data Equity Framework by We All Count
- ODI Responsible Data stewardship
- A Path to Social License: Guidelines for Trusted Data Use
- Mapping and Comparing Responsible Data Approaches
Equity in the US
- Chicago Beyond, Why Am I Always Being Researched?
- A Toolkit for Centering Racial Equity through Data Integration
- The Do No Harm Project
- Rising Equitable Community Data Ecosystems (RECoDE)
- Narratives and Counternarratives on Data Sharing in Africa
- Decolonizing Data @Skoll Forum 2021
- Responsible Data Governance for M&E in the African Context
- CUGH 2021 Satellite: Equitably harnessing the power of health data