Adopted in spring 2019, DGHI's current strategic plan provides a framework by which DGHI can maximize impact across four main areas of activity: Education, Research, Partnership and Engagement. The plan details specific priorities, actions and investments planned over a five-year period to position DGHI’s faculty, staff and students to pursue the greatest impact through their scholarship.
Overview of Goals and Actions
GOAL: Focus DGHI’s educational programs on preparing students at every level to make an impact on global health
- Build on the current success of the global health major for continued growth and improvement to maximize excellence in undergraduate learning.
- Expand pathways for students in the Master of Science in Global Health program looking for professional practice-based careers in global health.
- Enhance opportunities for doctoral training in global health in partnership with other Duke doctoral programs.
- Create a broad, graduate-level certificate program accessible to all Duke graduate and professional students to enhance academic engagement and relationships across Duke schools and programs.
- Enhance career and professional development programming for global health students, trainees and graduates.
GOAL: Increase DGHI’s effectiveness at informing and shaping global health policy and implementation of global health innovations.
- Translate DGHI research into policy and practice for maximal impact, via an Evidence-to-Impact initiative.
- Position faculty to take larger roles as public thought leaders and in advocating for global health ideas and practices.
- Enhance interdisciplinary approaches to innovation to accelerate application of new solutions to meet global health challenges.
- Encourage greater engagement among DGHI alumni and Duke alumni working in global health.
GOAL: Bolster key interdisciplinary research themes that align with Duke and DGHI’s strengths and create the most opportunity for impact.
- Make strategic investments to build and strengthen research programs in three cross-cutting areas where Duke and DGHI are poised to have impact.
- Provide all faculty state-of-the-art tools, mentoring and support to compete in changing funding environments and translate research and policy work to impact.
GOAL: Take greater advantage of DGHI’s highly effective international and domestic partnerships to deepen collaboration and learning opportunities.
- Bring more coordination and focus to global health projects and approaches in Durham and the U.S. South.
- Expand global health-focused collaborations with Priority Partnership Locations (PPLs) and other partners.
- Ensure PPLs are incorporated and leveraged in Duke’s wider global strategies.
Identity and Culture
GOAL: Build a stronger public identity and organizational culture based on shared values and approaches.
- Enhance public understanding of DGHI’s “distinctly Duke” model of global health.
- Create stronger sense of connection and shared mission among DGHI’s faculty, staff and students.
- Enhance diversity and inclusion across the DGHI community.