MAXIMIZING GLOBAL HEALTH IMPACT:
DGHI’s Strategic Plan for 2019-2024
DGHI’s current strategic plan is informed by and directed toward the institute’s abiding commitment to impact. Written and revised over months of community-wide discussions and adopted in spring 2019, the plan provides a new framework by which DGHI can maximize impact across four main areas of activity: Education, Research, Partnership and Engagement. In each of these areas, the plan details specific priorities, actions and investments planned over the next five years to position DGHI’s faculty, staff and students to pursue the greatest impact through their scholarship, while at the same time reinforcing strength in the core activities and research that enables action and future discoveries.
The plan articulates five overarching goals, which together will help DGHI continue to enhance its core strengths and deliver value to Duke.
OVERVIEW OF GOALS AND ACTIONS
GOAL: Focus DGHI’s educational programs on preparing students at every level to make an impact on global health
- Build on the current success of the global health major for continued growth and improvement to maximize excellence in undergraduate learning.
- Expand pathways for students in the Master of Science in Global Health looking for professional practice-based careers in global health.
- Enhance opportunities for doctoral training in global health in partnership with other Duke doctoral programs.
- Create a broad, graduate-level certificate program accessible to all Duke graduate and professional students to enhance academic engagement and relationships across Duke schools and programs.
- Enhance career and professional development programming for global health students, trainees and graduates.
GOAL: Increase DGHI’s effectiveness at informing and shaping global health policy and implementation of global health innovations.
- Translate DGHI research into policy and practice for maximal high impact, via an Evidence-to-Impact initiative.
- Position faculty to take a larger role as public thought leaders and in advocating for global health ideas and practices.
- Enhance inter-disciplinary approaches to innovation to accelerate application of new solutions to meet global health challenges.
- Encourage greater engagement among DGHI alumni and Duke alumni working in global health.
GOAL: Bolster key interdisciplinary research themes that align with Duke and DGHI’s strengths and create the most opportunity for impact.
- Make strategic investments to build and strengthen research programs in three cross-cutting areas where Duke and DGHI are poised to have impact.
- Provide all faculty state-of-the-art tools, mentoring and support to compete in changing funding environments and translate research and policy work to impact.
GOAL: Take greater advantage of DGHI’s highly effective international and domestic partnerships to deepen collaboration and learning opportunities.
- Bring more coordination and focus to global health projects and approaches in Durham and the U.S. South.
- Expand global health-focused collaborations with Priority Partnership locations (PPL) and other partners.
- Ensure PPLs are incorporated and leveraged in Duke’s wider global strategies.
Identity and Culture
GOAL: Build a stronger public identity and organizational culture based on shared values and approaches.
- Enhance public understanding of DGHI’s “distinctly Duke” model of global health.
- Create stronger sense of connection and shared mission among DGHI’s faculty, staff and students.
- Enhance diversity and inclusion across the DGHI community.